Folkways Press welcomes work from both emerging and established writers.
We want stories that often go untold; words that have been collecting dust in old notebooks; tales that inspire us to learn more about the world around us and the people in it.
NOTE: Submissions failing to follow our guidelines will not be read or considered.
- Submissions should be sent to email@example.com
- Please include your name and the genre of your work (poetry, short story, etc.) in the subject line, like so: [GENRE] – [NAME]
- Please compile your submission in ONE Word document (.doc/.docx). Please include page breaks in-between each work and clearly note titles where necessary (bold or italics)
- We ask that your submission be formatted in 12pt Times New Roman or Georgia fonts. Poetry should be single spaced and all other submissions be double spaced.
- When submitting your work, please include a brief synopsis and bio consisting of no more than 100 words
- We DO NOT accept any work that directs hate/promotes violence toward anyone, this includes work that is homophobic, transphobic, ablest, or sexist.
- Poetry manuscripts must range from 35 to 60 pages.
- Novellas, memoirs, essay collections, and short story collections must be at least 25,000 to 30,000 words.
- Flash fiction collections must be at least 15,000 words.
Despite living in a time where more women are speaking up and speaking out about inequality, political issues, and the realities of their day-to-day lives, many are still treated as whispers in the void – as shadows on the wall.
For our first book, we are calling on women to pick up their pens and share their stories with us for our anthology, We Are Not Shadows.
For this anthology, we want to hear about times in your lives when you’ve been treated as, or felt like, a shadow meant to remain in the background. We want to hear about the realities you’ve faced that society often overlooks or deems insignificant because they’ve not experienced it before. We are looking for the single mothers juggling work and/or school while providing for their children. We are looking for the ageless whose age has been used against them. We are looking for the warriors who’ve overcome hardships at the hands of adversity. We are looking for the words you’ve always wanted to say, but couldn’t find a place to speak them. We are looking for you.
Submissions are open to all women, with a particular interest in those over 40, women of color, women from the LGBT+ community, and those with disabilities. We accept work from US and international writers!
We will be accepting poetry, prose, and essays from a non-fiction perspective until April 30, 2020 at midnight.
Poetry should not exceed 40 lines. You may submit TWO poems.
Prose and essays should not exceed 2,000 words. You may submit ONE work of prose or ONE essay.
Please refer to the general guidelines before sending your work.
We are looking forward to reading your words and sharing your stories!